Sunday, April 21, 2013

21/04/2013


SUNSUNSUNSUNSUN
(I am so sunburnt)
(( I actually kind of forgot this blog existed for a few weeks. Whoops.))
It’s baaaaaack. The sun has reappeared with a vengeance and is currently engaged in a fierce battle with the entire population of Spanish señoras who are determined to continue wearing their fur coats until June 1st. With the sun came the beginning of a constant stream of tour buses. The good people of Granada are in general pretty laid back about the ridiculous amount of photo snapping and fanny-pack wearing foreigners invading their town, partially because they really just don’t get riled up about anything unless it involves futbol, and partially because it allows them to participate in their second favorite pastime: gossiping about tourists. Being rather taller and blonder and less fashionable than the average Spaniard, people often play the “Guess Where That Girl’s From” game, assuming I can’t understand them.
Listening to people debate my ethnicity is a bit like being the horse on the auction block.
“!Mira! Inglaterra?
Pues no! Look at her hair! German”
Anda ya. . . Did you remember to buy olive oil? So pale. . . she could be a Russian.”
Rusa? Que va, hombre. . . not skinny enough. She’s definitely German. And yes, I bought 26 litres, do you think we need more? Federico invited me to his communion next weekend in Sevilla.”
“In Sevilla! Madre mia, que cajones. . . Look how tall, maybe American? And only 26? What are you thinking? I’ll go by 39 more at Mercadona ASAP, vale? ‘Sta luego
Ciao!”
On a bus from Madrid this past week it suddenly hit me that I could now actually understand the gossiping of the people sitting around me. This was a double scoop of delightfulness as it served as a tangible piece of evidence that I was actually improving with my Spanish (much needed after the past few weeks of playing Subjunctive-Tense-Russian-Roulette in my homework) and also because I have always enjoyed listening to random snippets of peoples’ lives. Understanding is a small step, nothing more, yet its rewards are intoxicating and deceptive. It gives me a dangerous amount of confidence in my Spanish abilities, which leads to me attempting to corral innocent Shwarma sellers and men who ask me to dance at my favorite salsa club into long, involved conversations, as well as attempting to explain the concept of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups to my host mom, who thinks I’m about as nutso as they come, but still nodded and smiled politely.
1 month left!! And so much gelato to eat, places to see, and bachata learn before I return to the real world. Until then, here are 5 cool pictures of the approximately 78,930 on my iPhoto that have never been uploaded.
1. Andalusia is kinda pretty

2. San Sebastian is also rather attractive

3. And so is Sevilla's Plaza de España

4. And their river/sunsets

5. Don Quijote's windmills are pretty swell as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment